By Bob Speyer, Web Success Team
Just about everyone can define Social Media today and almost everybody is beginning to realize that it is a powerful marketing tool. However I find that when it comes to understanding its expectations we seem to fall short. So here is a list of items that I think social media marketing is and what it’s not:
- A magic bullet: It is not a magical silver bullet the will solve all your marketing problems overnight.
- An instant reward: It is not an instant gratification tool that can make your products and services go viral in a second.
- The quick fix: It will not fix the woes of a poorly planned business plan.
- Immediate connections: It will not get you 5,000 fans in a minute just because you have a a great product or service.
- Passive income: It will certainly not earn you a million dollars while you sleep.
What Social Media Is!
- It is a networking platform… as in a conference, a Meet-up or a luncheon with a new client.
- It is a sharing platform… as in an opportunity to exchange valuable information as in website pages, blogs and articles of interest that could help your business or you could help others.
- It is a connection platform… as in connecting with your clients to keep them up to date with new information about your services and products.
- It is a form of advertising… where you can share promotions and specials
- It is a powerful branding tool… where you can brand yourself and tie it in with your products and services.
- It is an event planner… where you can hold an event and invite your connections to attend to further promote your products and services.
The Conclusion: Why We Need It!
Social Media is today’s phone call or direct mailer, but vastly more effective. It targets your customers and it never sleeps. In fact it is a way to penetrate the clutter and get your voice heard. Whether it is through Faceboook, Twitter, Linkedin or blogging, you have an opportunity to meet potential customers, offer advice and begin to build relationships. Social Media is informational and obviously social. The adage, “Give to Get” is the lifeblood of this exploding media. The more connections you make and the more helpful you are, the greater your chances for web success.
About the Author: Bob Speyer is an online marketer, social media strategist and co-founder of the Web Success Team. Bob develops effective marketing strategies to help companies increase brand awareness and target more customers for their products and services. His articles are intended to educate as well as inform readers of the latest tools and techniques of online marketing. You can follow Bob on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.