We now live in unusual times. Businesses, Universities, and schools are moving all learning activities online.
Many people struggle with this new concept. Those used to classroom settings are having trouble with time management and structure.
All the technical data and tools are overwhelming to families and teachers. Where do you begin to simplify?
Flipboard’s Smart Magazine feature is a powerful tool that allows you to collect topics into elegant magazines. You are able to select what information you will need to teach, write a report or do business research.
In this article, I will show you how to build a smart magazine for educational materials and school projects.
I will also show you how the app can do research and organizational tasks.
How can a smart magazine help me?
First: What is the difference between a smart Flipboard magazine and a Flipboard magazine?
- A smart magazine does all the collecting for you based on a topic that you select.
- A Flipboard magazine has you adding articles from sources that you choose.
In a smart magazine you can:
- Collect important subjects into a smart magazine: For example math, science, history, writing tips and more. Each topic has a variety of subtopics allowing you to choose the ones that are relevant to your needs.
- Collect information for a class magazine and share it with teachers and students. You can build several smart magazines with different topics and use them to build a Flipboard magazine for a school project.
- Customize your magazine for courses. If you are doing a science project, you can build a specific science magazine; like one that focuses on space?
- Refine your research for certain subjects. If you have a research project, then a smart magazine is ideal to collect information into one single source. Best of all, Flipboard will do all the collection for you.
- You can have up to nine magazines. I tend to build my first nine, add them to magazines, delete them and build another nine.
How to get started
Choose a subject of interest to follow. It could be math, science or any subject that you think will help you get materials for your courses.
Follow this simple video:
- Pick a topic of your choice and type it into the search box
- Flipboard will give you subtopics to choose from. In this example, we used “World History”. You can also choose many subtopics within your topic category.
- Flipboard’s automatic search feature will source articles and collect them into the smart magazine
- Flip your favorite smart magazine articles into a Flipboard magazine
Voila! You have a smart magazine. You can find your magazine at the top of your app.
Taking this a step further
Flipboard allows you to build beautiful magazines for your projects. You can curate articles from your smart magazines and add them to a Flipboard magazine.
Here are some of the options you have:
- Add your RSS feed from a blog.
- Add information from the web. You come across an important article you can add it to a Flipboard magazine for future reference. Just download the bookmarklet to share from desktop or directly from your mobile device.
- Read from your selected sources. Pick your favorite blogs and other articles you may find on the web.
- Add your smart magazine directly into your customized Flipboard. You can curate your smart magazine directly into a Flipboard magazine. This is very convenient because you can also add other articles you find on your own.
- Add your sources from social media or your favorite blogs. Collect from Twitter lists and your social media feeds.
- For project sharing with your fellow classmates or students. You can also add your friends, teachers, and contributors to a classroom project.
- For collecting in an album. Ideal for journaling, albums, notes and more. It’s also ideal for journaling, adding personal photos and notes.
Here is a sample magazine from an 11-year-old Texas student. She produced this chemistry magazine all by herself with little help.
Here is another resourceful magazine for both parents and students. Curated by Lynne White, a professional homeschooler and myself
Once you have your collection with a few articles you are now free to share it with the world with the following:
- Social Media
- On your website or blog
Flipboard is visually beautiful and once you get the knack of it you will find it very useful for your courses and your students.
If you want more information on how to get started, here is a handy guide.
Let me know if you have any questions @janettespeyer