Ten of the Most Interesting Social Stats for 2013
Written By Janette Speyer and Katrina McNeill
Every year the social media world expands and makes huge changes. This is why we are only 4 months into the year and already we have share-worthy statistics to review. Here are our top ten.
- 1. More than 2.6 million companies have LinkedIn Company Pages. (Source: LinkedIn)
- 2. There is no longer a minority gap in social media use. The surveyed groups (whites, Hispanics, and African-Americans) hover around 68 percent of total adults. Almost twice as many African-Americans (26 percent) use Twitter as whites (14 percent). (Source: Techcrunch)
- 3. Google’s social media arm Google+ has seen rapid growth pace as there are over 925,000 new users on Google+ every day. If the growth continues like this, then Facebook will need to reinvent to keep its top position. (Source: Dazeinfo)
- 4. 300 million pictures are uploaded to Facebook every day via Instagram (Source: Media bistro)
- 5. Social media is now the #1 activity on the web (Source: Qualman)
- 6. 57 percent of Pinterest users interact with food-related content and food it said to be the number one category of content on Pinterest. (Source: Factbrowser)
- 7. Don’t overuse hashtags! Tweets with one or two hashtags receive 21% higher engagement than those with three or more hashtags. (Source: BuddyMedia)
- 8. Are you on YouTube? Cause everyone else is! An astonishing 1 hour of video is uploaded to YouTube every second (Source: YouTube)
- 9. Among smartphone owners age 18-44, making phone calls accounts for only 16% of the total time spent with their devices, whereas the remaining 84% of time is spent texting and interacting with email and social networks. (Source: Marketingprofs)
- 10. Think Gamification is important? You should! Gaming has become colossal these days, with a collective 3 billion hours a week spent gaming. (Source: Ted)
As marketers, we always need to plan ahead and take time to consider our business and marketing objectives before adopting a new social platform or launching a new campaign. Looking at the statistics can really help you understand the value of each platform. We are always keeping you informed on our Facebook, Twitter and Google+ page.
If you liked this article you may also like: