Written By Janette Speyer and Katrina McNeill
Every year the social media world expands and makes huge changes. This is why we are only 4 months into the year and already we have share-worthy statistics to review. Here are our top ten.
- 1. More than 2.6 million companies have LinkedIn Company Pages. (Source: LinkedIn)
- 2. There is no longer a minority gap in social media use. The surveyed groups (whites, Hispanics, and African-Americans) hover around 68 percent of total adults. Almost twice as many African-Americans (26 percent) use Twitter as whites (14 percent). (Source: Techcrunch)
- 3. Google’s social media arm Google+ has seen rapid growth pace as there are over 925,000 new users on Google+ every day. If the growth continues like this, then Facebook will need to reinvent to keep its top position. (Source: Dazeinfo)
- 4. 300 million pictures are uploaded to Facebook every day via Instagram (Source: Media bistro)
- 5. Social media is now the #1 activity on the web (Source: Qualman)
- 6. 57 percent of Pinterest users interact with food-related content and food it said to be the number one category of content on Pinterest. (Source: Factbrowser)
- 7. Don’t overuse hashtags! Tweets with one or two hashtags receive 21% higher engagement than those with three or more hashtags. (Source: BuddyMedia)
- 8. Are you on YouTube? Cause everyone else is! An astonishing 1 hour of video is uploaded to YouTube every second (Source: YouTube)
- 9. Among smartphone owners age 18-44, making phone calls accounts for only 16% of the total time spent with their devices, whereas the remaining 84% of time is spent texting and interacting with email and social networks. (Source: Marketingprofs)
- 10. Think Gamification is important? You should! Gaming has become colossal these days, with a collective 3 billion hours a week spent gaming. (Source: Ted)
As marketers, we always need to plan ahead and take time to consider our business and marketing objectives before adopting a new social platform or launching a new campaign. Looking at the statistics can really help you understand the value of each platform. We are always keeping you informed on our Facebook, Twitter and Google+ page.
If you liked this article you may also like: