By Janette Leon-Speyer –Web Success Team
Sitting at a computer is inevitable especially for those of us in the Online Marketing and Social Media Business. I have been at a desk for over 30 years! Between school and computer. It seems as though I have spent most of my life looking at a screen.
The other day, I came across an infographic on the Mashable Blog, claiming: “Sitting Is Dangerous.” Well nothing could be truer! However there is good news. Here are 11 tips you can do to avoid the “Sitting Disease.”
- Take Computer Breaks – Keep a timer by your desk to remind you to stand up every 20 minutes or so and walk around.
- Stand While Socializing – If you are a Social Media addict like me and you have to check you Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter, do it standing and use your smart-phone.
- Drink Lots of Water – Regular water intake helps to flush away waste products in the body. Get at least six to eight 8 oz. glasses per day. An easy way to do this is to keep a water bottle handy and drink frequently.
- Exercise or Office Workouts – Any time you can add in a little more physical activity, do it. Take the stairs instead of the elevator or get up from you desk and stretch. For a little more fun try collective workouts with your peers or 5 minute isometric exercises.
- Get Periodic Therapeutic Massages – Massages are relaxing and good for sore muscles. Especially if you are sitting at a computer for long hours.
- Get an Ergonomic Chair – You’d be surprised what an orthopedic chair feels like. It’s the difference between first class and economy on an airline. It’s important to sit in a position where your back is straight and the lower back is supported.
- Arrange Your Seating Position – Practice sitting straight, even when you are tired. Too often we have our head thrust forward which can cause neck strain.
- Rest Your Eyes – Try to look away from your computer screen every so often to avoid eye strain.
- Don’t Forget Your Wrists – Stretch your hands and wrists often to avoid developing carpel tunnel syndrome.
- Take a Few Deep Breaths – This can reduce stress, improve energy, and get the blood flowing.
- Try a Stand-up Desk – They are becoming very popular and can be placed on a treadmill that moves very slowly so you actually “walk” while you work.
The added benefits to a healthy lifestyle at work are less fatigue, more positive attitude and increased productivity. Even if you take only a few of these recommendations you will feel more energized. To your healthy Web Success!